The California State University Institute for Palliative Care (Institute) in conjunction with the County of San Diego Health and Human Services Agency, Aging & Independence Services, and Caregiver Coalition of San Diego are making the Caregiver's Handbook available at no charge on the Institute's website. This 35-page booklet is designed to give the caregiver or one relying on others for care, guidance in organizing and simplifying your unique situation. Topics include caregiving, legal and financial concerns such as advance care planning, health issues, and palliative care.
Here are some of the topics covered in the free Caregiver's Handbook:
- Section 1: About Caregiving – This section includes discussion of: Who are the caregivers, the receivers, and who else is in the same boat? It also includes a checklist of personal-information documents and a place to create a list of who needs to know where they are being kept.
- Section 2: Caregiving Services to Help You – Topics include: Top 5 Caregiving Tips, An overview of Respite, Support Groups, Case Management, In-Home Care, Placement, Assessment and Consultation, and Protection Through Technology. This section also includes checklists that cover personal safety and healthcare decisions.
- Section 3: Legal/Financial Concerns and Resources – This section includes information about legal Issues and documents. It also includes general checklists, definitions (laws very from state to state) and a list of public benefits that consumers may be eligible for including websites and phone numbers for specific answers to questions.
- Section 4: Health Care Issues - This section includes tips for talking to doctors, guidance for medication management, a fall-prevention checklist and other personal information charts.
- Section 5: Self-Care – This section includes reminders for how caregivers can better take care of themselves while caring for others.
- Section 6: End of Life – This section gives a clear definition of hospice along with guidance as to when hospice should be called and who pays for it.
The eBook – Caregiver's Handbook is available on the Institute's website.
SOURCE CSU Institute for Palliative Care